CHICKENS AND COMPOSTERS AND A SEED SWAP, OH MY!
Saturday, March 30th 9:30am until 2:00pm at the Somerville Winters Farmers Market. 191 Highland Ave, that really cool fortress-looking building, the Armory, in Somerville!
Are you planning a huge harvest from raised beds or a container herb garden in the windowsill? Either way, this day is for you. Join us at the market for activities and info about gardening in Somerville.Celebrate Spring, plan your garden, learn about composting, chickens and seeds! Happenings include:
- Seed Swap (part 2!) From the Somerville Community Growing Center!
- Chickens! Visit with Khrysti of Yardbirds Backyard Chickens and her Somerville “girls” and learn all about chickens in Somerville. She will arrive with her feathered ladies around 10:30 or so.
- Earth Machine compost bins available for purchase from the City of Somerville ($40 check or money order to “The City of Somerville”). Bike delivery available (thank you Andrew of Compost This!)
- Learn all about Urban Ag in Somerville! What are the opportunities, rules, and regs for chickens, bees, and urban farming?
- Groundwork Somerville demonstrating how to make a worm composting bin, with worms for sale!
- Green City Growers at market. Learn how they can help you make the most of your space for gardening!
Bring the kids, there will be planting activities. And buy fresh, local produce,too. Can it get any better?