Relish: Center for Urban Agriculture opens in the heart of Union Square, Somerville late Spring 2013. An educational center, Relish provides high quality, hands-on instruction on urban agriculture and related food production. Relish is headquartered in a large (22’ x 22’) indoor conference room (seating capacity of 25 people), attached industrial style-garage with retail space, and is adjacent to a small city park. (Trying to visualize the place? See our “before” pics here.)
Relish is a project of Mimi Graney (you likely know her from her work with Union Square Main Streets) and Mary Cat Chaikin (manager of the Union Square and Somerville Winter Farmers Markets.)
Call for Instructors for new Urban Agriculture project!
Relish is accepting proposals for workshops from qualified instructors for June through December 2013. See bottom of this page for links to applications.
- Typically 3-hour workshops on Saturdays (9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm) or Wednesday evenings, 6pm-8pm.
- Workshops will start the week of June 1, 2013.
- Classes may be offered at multiple levels and participants take home product.
- Topics should be closely related to city farming or homesteading, including home gardening, beekeeping, mushrooming, pruning, chicken coops, and other topics .
- Examples Topics: How to Build a Raised Bed, Edible Window Boxes, Canning, Cultivating Mushrooms, Introduction to Backyard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, etc.
All ages/family workshops:
- Tentatively scheduled for Wednesday evenings, 6-8 pm. Topics follow same guidelines as above.
- Relish Kids! runs June – August, with 9am-12pm morning session for younger kids (roughly 4-6 yrs. old) and 1pm-4pm afternoon session for older kids (7-11 yrs. old).
- 5 day sessions will take place Monday – Friday, and include breaks for snack and outdoor park play.
- Example Topics: Printmaking, Union Square Place-based Learning, Introduction to Urban Ag (Expert visits and site visits in the area for hands-on learning about chickens, bees, composting, gardening, etc), and other topics generally related to city farming or homesteading. Instructors should have experience working with groups of children, and multiple references.
DEADLINES: Deadline for submissions for Relish Kids! summer classes and June workshops is ASAP. After April 30, instructor applications for adult and all-ages workshops will be accepted on a rolling basis.
COMPENSATION: Ranges from $75-125 for 3 hour workshops, and $350-$450 for week-long workshops, depending on class topic and instructor experience and qualifications. All classes must meet minimum enrollment requirements to take place as scheduled.
Application for adult workshops
Application for workshops for Relish Kids